The FITC Design and Technology Festival was a non-stop orgy of techno, graphic design, mathematics, programming, artificial intelligence, and rockstar industry experts. I would have been psyched just attending the conference by myself, but to amplify the awesomeness, I got to spend the weekend with most of my New Media Team Project team, the New Media professors, and a handful of up-and-coming New Media students. Its going to take a long time to come down off of this high and return to normalcy.
Some of my favorite things from the conference:
- Flash 8 Preview, 8-bit alpha transparency for Flash video.
- Denstu elevator visualizations.
- Branden Hall, perceptron neural networks + genetic algorithms + Lindenmayer fractals = insanity.
- David Carson, "cokedout", Zapf Dingbats.
- Robert Hodgin, Perlin noise, flow-field systems, Pong written for an 8x8 grid of scrubbing dials.
- Casey Reas/Ben Fry, processing, 'softwares' as building blocks.
- Yugo Nakamura, everything and anything he showed.
- Gmunk, and the hilarious Mandingo
- Joshua Davis, Paper Mario
Ok. So now what. I got to work today and for some reason, life just didn't seem as bright.